- Build a community of supporters. It takes a village to build a responsive design system. When you want to make a change you have to be passionate about it. New CNN design – hundreds of people who touched the redesign at many levels. You can’t just imagine a designer and a developer and a content strategist – you have to have everyone involved because we are all designers! It’s not networking, it’s making friends (with a common interest). Build a community in order to activate change. **EXERCISE – tell the person next to you a story about your name. Got to hear Jeffrey Zeldman’s story about how his first name is Luis because that was his mother’s father’s name who died when she was 11 but that he went by Jeffrey because his mom thought Luis Zeldman sounded like a gangster.
- Begin executing on those design tactics.
- Plant a Seed: Create a survey…. “If this project were an automobile, what automobile brand would it be and why?” Gets people involved in the process, makes them think a different way…
- The Already Done: also known as “just do it.” Example: Style Tiles was a good way to talk in the terms people were using like buttons and colors and fonts… it also helped move things along quickly. Example: The accessibility symbol that was just designed and CHANGED, and 5 years later was written into law as the new official accessibility symbol for the state of New York. A prototype can save you 1000 meetings (and so much bureaucracy). If you can just go and make it real, you can go farther faster. Make friends that know how to prototype to help you do this. If you can just make it happen yourself that’s the fastest way to do it.
- Money talks: Understanding business is a design skill and you can use this skill to enact the change you want to make. A process change can save money. It’s all about how you present your case. By speaking the language of those that make the decision can help get your idea passed. Have measurable goals and affect the bottom line! Process Change: Design = Time = Money. If she could convince the company she could save them time, that can be directly translated into money.
- Increase revenue
- Decrease cost
- Increase new business
- Increase existing business
- Increase shareholder value
- Talk one to one
- Participate in an event or activity with people
- Make it part of your process to share on whatever platform you use like Basecamp, Stack, etc.
- If it doesn’t exist in the wiki, it doesn’t exist
- Publicly – blog post, talk